Turning Point

This could be the turning point I have been expecting. A major source of frustration and pain for me has been not being there for my little sisters. They are in desperate (exemplifies my tendency to exaggerate a problem) need of someone who can guide them in the right direction. Both have been cut off from the high school, which was a major outlet of support for them. Both are depressed and feeling isolated and uncertain about where to go from there.
After speaking with Michelle and feeling like nothing I said was good enough for her, that nothing I could say was what she wanted to hear, I realized first that maybe what she needed was for me to actually be a sister, not a counselor. Just as I needed to figure out how to be a daughter to my mother. How to not take on the responsibility alone of counseling my family, but being a part of it. Struggling with them, sharing my hardships as I have complained they do.
I should hug her, listen to her, play with her hair, tell her it will be okay. Maybe that is what a sister is supposed to do. I have been stuck in the role model mode, having sacrificed my obligations as a sister.
If Laura and her both come down here to live with me, I can get a full time job to support us, all the while encouraging them (indirectly so there is no real pressure) to search for a job or schooling or volunteering, anything to get them into new experiences. The goal being to build their character, their self-esteem, their recognition that there are opportunities out there. I can immerse them in my atmosphere here, my support group, my own love (since I am apparently needing something to love after my kitty died and my maternal clock is taunting me). This town is kinder, smaller, and provides an excellent setting for new beginnings. There are so many programs in this little area that we could look into that would be educational and fun. I am hoping the many resources available to me can be available to them through me. Brittany could take them horse riding. They could babysit for Channing? Maybe?
However, I am concerned about losing the main figure of my support group, Jim, if my sisters and I choose to do this. Will he want to live with my sisters as well? We could get a different place with a few rooms, they could stay in one.
This would give me the chance to guide them more thoroughly in their lives, and offer me some peace about leaving them. It could be a great opportunity to really get to know them.

0 comments:

Post a Comment