The Believer - An Evening With Hapa

Perhaps I was wrong (refer to Writing Style Experiment). My friend had a dream come true, to play with those who inspired the path he follows, Hapa. Each concert, every gig working toward a way of living, learning guitar, building two groups together, endless rehearsals, a degree, jam sessions, all with a belief in what Hapa stood for, what he felt they accomplished and brought to his life. For some an idol is essential inspiration, a starting point or ideal. It was ill of me not to acknowledge that a belief is more than just the walking vessel. My apologies. They were not my models, but I appreciated the escape they provided nonetheless.

The concert was sold out, fans of young and old filled our little university recital hall. Add in our music professors and cream pies and we got ourselves a party! We could shave their heads if they would prefer that.
Ha'ena, my friend's local cover band, were invited to open the show for their idols as guest performers. Let us know how it was guys to watch and chat with them backstage. Chicken skin was your phrase?

I cannot fathom that true bliss of exchanging words with my guiding light. For comparison, would you compare it to meeting God? Better make certain Hapa doesn't read this, may overwhelm their egos. Possible?

The performers themselves were not what I expected. Familiarized with the relaxed traditional Hawaiian music my friend's group Ha'ena plays, I was surprised when a Billy Joel impersonator walked on stage and began dancing with his guitar like he was a one man band (minus the bad accent, at least Barry admitted being howlie). But it was entertaining to see a rock star in action, and the musician in me still sat amazed at the way their hands glided over the strings. I sware it was an optical illusion (what is this supposed to be?); I heard the notes, but my eyes couldn't catch their strumming. But I sank at the warmth of Nathan's voice. To hear vibrato and warmth like his applied to traditional songs was an experience all in itself. Never have I been so aroused by a man's falsetto. Whew.

I always enjoy watching traditional hula as well. The grace and simplicity of the movement speaks of a strength found in feeling connected to something greater than any one person. It demonstrates an appreciation for the land and ocean, for family, and encourages respect for the female form rather than the overly sexualized generalization created by media.
Truly a pleasure to be a participant in a rich display of empowerment. I am so happy for you my friends. Chi-hoo Ha'ena!

Disclaimer: For personal reassurance, I maintain high consideration for those whose lives inspire my writings. It is never my purpose to tell another's story, only to theorize about myself and my environment based on observation. I am fascinated by the affect the slightest interaction has on my perception of the world. I aim to share my musings on the human experience while the inspiration is stirring. Thus my work is my interpretation of his behavior based on my own colored lens and filtered through my own experience.

0 comments:

Post a Comment