Lost Series Finale Review (unedited; spoilers)

In the following moments after the finale, I found myself in a state of anxiety, frustration, exhaustion. Both my boyfriend and friend who were watching it with me seemed confused but were exclaiming their appreciation for it. As always, my expectations and desires make everything so hard. I might swear off watching television shows where no clear cut ending can be established ahead of time. As we know, Lost had to adapt to many changes in the cast and audience reactions (commendable still), but it meant some of the questions built up would remain unsolved or “left up to interpretation." Finally I thought all the anticipation, all the pondering and theorizing would be finished. 
I more thoroughly enjoy an ending that leaves me thinking about the amazing impact and meaning it has for me, not remaining to question what it all means, rather an awe that one can apply in all facets of life.  I might just read books from now on. I feel just as frustrated as I did when I watched the finale of Dexter Season 2 and Xena Series Finale; an overwhelming desire to cry from unquenched intrigue rather than joy. Xena seemed like it was leading up to some grand conclusion where it is revealed that the Christian based God is taking over and she had a main role in effecting this change but was left erased from history books.

If Lost was only about the characters, it was a fabulous ending. All major character developments were satisfyingly completed. I recognize that the creators focused the fan base (see pod casts and interviews by creators before finale aired) on the character story lines being primary, which were beautiful in their emotional depth, like Jack and Kate finally confessing their love. My dissatisfaction lies in that I was intrigued by the mythological, historical, existential, and potentially extraterrestrial aspects of the show. As much as I loved the characters, I could watch any other drama and enjoy the character relations equally. I hoped, rather, it was leading to an all-encompassing theory where our greatest ancestral roots, religious foundations all tied to us today and relate to some ending in the future for us or our race as a whole (a sort of God particle search), where all our current constants in living stem from a beginning or elementary idea that has been lost or complicated (as if island was Atlantis or Library of Alexandria containing all that lost knowledge). Perhaps I was looking through 2012 colored lenses. The nights we spent awake debating the latest mysteries were not about who would end up with whom necessarily, the characters were driving vessels in the telling of the story, but we mainly pondered about such things as the statues four toes and the artists of the hieroglyphs. Did an ancient civilization understand the science of time better than we can comprehend today, did they deal with tangible and omnipotent forces that we encounter metaphorically in our daily lives? These were major questions I feel science fiction fans wanted answered. Purgatory, heaven, hell, afterlife theories as used in the show did not feel original or inspired. Of course the creators were in an awkward position, trying to conclude a show that had established a world-wide fan base, so I understand no matter what choice they made, someone would be critical. Figures I would fall into that category. Maybe it would better suit me to emulate Phoebe’s mom from Friends and turn off shows before the end so I can keep my own notion of what happens intact.

I’m annoyed that the show’s very selling point, its weapon, an ability to mold suspense into every moment, left me to believe that it was only that: static suspense, a tool to maintain interest. The redeeming side of that is if it was actually leading to answers beyond the character plot arcs, it had a gift to mystify and encourage new thought and theory.

My struggle with accepting this ending only highlights my desire to find that God particle of life, in the sense that I desperately search for the connection between it all. This was why I enjoyed the fourth Indiana Jones (read Chariots of the Gods by Erich von Daniken and Crash go the Chariots by Clifford Wilson; you will understand), while so many others found it unfitting and unrealistic, I sat engaged and amazed during it, talked with such passion about it afterward, felt a sense of peace and completion, yet was still excited to ponder the idea further. This finale did not inspire me to think, it blackmailed me into thinking. I scrambled to find an answer just so I could close the door. You said you wouldn’t take a cheap way out, no dream state or purgatory, no ambiguous Sopranos ending. Is the flash sideways not a purgatory, a dream like reality? Were we not still left in confusion that required interpretation as the Sopranos? I think Fail with that lie.

I do relate with their description of Locke, as someone searching for something to believe in, a man of faith without a particular faith. Applying this same description to me may support why I had such a difficult time with the ending. Being someone always trying to be in touch with my mortality, I do appreciate the point it was trying to make: life is a means of finding love, because death is inevitable goal. It’s always nice to see this reiterated. Just couldn’t put aside my need for more. Analyze me how you will.

I know I am too harsh, and that many have thoroughly enjoyed the whole ride and its finale, so feel free to argue with me. Show me the light! But I am curious if there is anyone else just as exhaustingly frustrated as I am. Please identify yourselves so we might create a new breed of Losties.

Read on for further inconsistencies or unanswered questions to be discussed or ignored.

The flash sideways is essentially the major cast waiting to find their way back to each other, back to their memories, to rediscover the love they found (based on when they received reawakening: Sayid-Shannon, Kate-baby Erin, Jack-father and partially Kate and Locke, Juliet-Sawyer, Hurley-Libby, Desmond-Penny, Sun and Jinn-Meeting their baby, Clare-Charlie, excluding Ben because he was not ready to enter the church/heaven and was reawakened by being beaten).
So why are so many others missing? Charlotte and Daniel had a moment of partial memory regression and were not in the church in the end, meaning?

Who was Louise Hawking?! What was Charles Widmore’s agenda and why was he so desperate to return?

What was the significance of the dharma bringing animals to the island to test? What were they testing?

Do you think perhaps the hole beneath the light’s cork leads to Hell, or unleashes Hell? Could simply be like a reverse drain stopper letting the water in to sink the island.

There were hieroglyphics on the cork as well. How is it the man in black (WHO WAS NEVER FINALLY NAMED!!)

Just remember, unanswered questions of popular media is where fan fiction begins.
I’m so tired of theorizing a story that seemed to be just moving randomly with those elements. The bit of humor the Jimmy Kimmel show offered following the finale was a nice relief for me though.

0 comments:

Post a Comment